A 6-panel drug test is not a regularly used drug test, but an employer might use a 6 panel test if he wants to test for drugs like Ecstasy or benzodiazepines along with the commonly abused drugs (tested in a 5 panel drug test.)
With an alarming increase in drug abuse in the USA, employers may look for substance abuse among employees and new hires other than the five-panel drugs.
Hence it is significant to know more about 6 panel drug test, what happens if you fail them, and some legit ways to pass your six panel drug test.
Table Of Contents:
- What Is A 6-Panel Drug Test?
- What Does A 6-Panel Drug Test Test For?
- Do They Use 6 Panel Drug Tests During Probation?
- 6-Panel Test For Employers And Employees
- What Happens If I Fail My 6-Panel Drug Test?
- How To Pass A 6-Panel Drug Test?
What Is A 6-Panel Drug Test?
A 6-panel drug test is a kind of drug testing panel that helps employers and organizations identify drugs beyond the major abusive drug metabolites (above the cut-off levels prescribed by SAMHSA.) It is a type of drug test that an employer may choose if there is a requirement to test for additional drugs apart from the 5-panel drugs.
The 6 panel test is not a pre-determined panel. Some employers may choose to test for ecstasy while some may use 6 panel drug testing kits that look for benzodiazepines and barbiturates.
The six panel drug test might not use alcohol in the panel. For alcohol testing, you can use specialized EtG alcohol testing kits or lab-based alcohol drug testing.
What Does A 6-Panel Drug Test Test For?
A 6 panel test helps you test for 6 major illicit drugs in the USA. You might be wondering - What's on a 6 panel drug test? Here are the major drug metabolites that the 6-panel drug test will look for
- THC (Cannabinoids).
- Opiates (and their metabolites).
The detection time of the drugs in the six panel drug test may range between 1 to 3 weeks. It depends upon several factors based on the nature of the drug, metabolism, age, gender, intake frequency, etc.
For instance, if you are an occasional drinker and have a healthy metabolism, the drug metabolites might not stay in your system for more than 3 to 7 days.
But if you are a heavy drinker taking harder drugs like cocaine, it is possible that the drugs may stay in your system for 3 weeks or even more.
Note: Apart from a 6-panel drug test, there are different panel drug tests that your employer can go for as per the company drug testing policy requirements. So it is essential to keep yourself clean to pass your drug test.
Do They Use A 6 Panel Drug Test During Probation?
The court conducts a 5 panel drug test during probation. Additionally, the probationary officer might also conduct a drug test. It is at his discretion to choose the type and panel.
If he/she suspects the probationer using other illegal drugs, he may conduct a 6-panel drug test or other panels to identify the drug metabolites in your system.
A positive test result in any one or both of the drug tests may lead to the probationer being placed under intensive supervision, which includes house arrest, manual labor, and more frequent visits with their probation officer.
A positive result could also mean that the probationer is returned to custody. A negative 6-Panel drug screen result would indicate that the individual is sober and capable of probation.
Passing a drug test alone might not help you get probation. The court might consider other factors of your discipline too. So, ensure you behave like a monk while applying for probation.
6-Panel Test For Employers And Employees
A 6-Panel drug test is not a regularly performed drug test on employees, but may be conducted in specific work environments.
A six panel drug test might be conducted in the following situations:
- Employer's company policy guidelines to check for 6 panel drugs.
- Suspicion in which the employee might be using benzos or barbiturates.
- Post-Accident drug testing.
- Criminal investigations/ Forensics.
6 Panel Drug Testing Methods
A 6 panel drug test might be conducted using various methods, the most prominent is the Urinalysis. Here are the some of the drug testing methods using a 6-panel.
Instant 6-Panel Urine Drug Test
The Instant 6-Panel Urine Drug Test is one of the most advanced drug tests to test for 6 most illicit drug metabolites. This 6-panel Urine drug test is widely used by employers, both for criminal investigations as well as for employee testing.
The instant 6 panel urine test helps detect commonly abused substances. These substances include marijuana, cocaine, benzos, opiates (including heroin), amphetamines (including methamphetamines), and PCP.
Uritox’s Instant 6-Panel Urine Drug Test comes with the following features.
- Easy to use – The test is easy to use. There is no need for any complicated instructions or procedures. It is also convenient to read and understand the results.
- Results are quick – This test gives results in just 4-7 minutes, so you do not have to wait long before you get the results.
- Very accurate – This instant 6-Panel urine drug test kit has a high accuracy rate above 99%, better than the standard 5-panel drug tests available in today's marketplaces.
- SAMHSA-Approved – The test has been certified by the SAMHSA, an accrediting body for alcohol and drug testing labs in the United States.
6-Panel Saliva Drug Test
The 6-Panel Saliva drug test detects the presence of various controlled substances and their metabolites using an oral fluid sample. The 6-panel Oral Fluid drug test is beneficial for short-term detection of whether a person has been taking any illegal drugs very recently. It can be used for different purposes, like the following:
- Employee testing – Employers may use the 6-panel saliva drug test to ensure that their employees are handling their work responsibly and can do so safely.
- Criminal investigations – The 6-panel Saliva Drug Test can be used during criminal investigations, most commonly when an arrest has been made, and a suspect is awaiting a final verdict in court. The results of a 6-panel Saliva Drug Test can be used as evidence against the suspect.
- Monitoring employees in rehab – Some people who attend rehab programs may choose to continue attending their program even after they have completed the treatment. To combat this, some employers and programs may use the 6-panel saliva drug test to ensure that the person stays sober.
Uritox’s 6-panel Saliva drug test even has many benefits and features, such as:
- Easy to use – No complicated instructions or procedures are needed. You can use this test yourself; all you need to do is follow simple directions.
- Less invasive: This 6-panel Saliva Drug Test is non-invasive, so you do not need to use hypodermic needles or other invasive methods.
- Results are easy to understand: You know the results immediately with this drug test. The results are displayed by color change within 7 seconds after the test.
Buy Our 6-panel Saliva Drug Test kit Here
6 Panel Drug Test Near Me
Most employers prefer conducting on-site six panel drug test. If you prefer conducting a 6 panel test at a SAMHSA-certified lab, you can book yours at US Health Testing.
US Health Testing is a proud partner of Labcorp, which helps you book your nearest lab for drug testing - say - 5 miles to 50 miles radius. Booking your drug test at US Health Testing is very easy. Just choose your preferred location, fill out the form, and take the drug test.
What Happens If I Fail My 6-Panel Drug Test?
If you fail a 6-panel test, your employer will be notified immediately via mail or fax. The action plan might vary from one company to another. Normally, you may be suspended from work until a disciplinary meeting is held.
Also, depending on the reason for the failed test, you may face potential charges related to employment. In case of a false positive drug test, you will have to undergo a confirmatory test to establish the actual result.
How To Pass A 6-Panel Drug Test?
If you are about to take your 6-panel urine drug test, there are a few things that you can do to help pass the test.
- It is essential to know what drugs your employer is testing for. It will help you decide if you should be taking supplements. However, avoid taking supplements linked to over-the-counter and prescription drugs. These can harm your health and create a positive drug test result.
- Proper management of your diet will also help you fight for medicine. Foods high in magnesium can help prevent a false positive drug test result.
- Stay hydrated. Drug metabolites left in your body will be excreted through your urine. Consume plenty of water to flush the toxins out of your system. It will also dilute any drug metabolites in your urine, making it easier to mask the chemical composition.
- If you have been taking illegal drugs and have not followed a proper plan to withdraw from them, it would be best to stop taking them 4-7 days before your drug test.
- Avoid any alcohol and caffeine consumption 15 hours before your drug test. It will help you reduce the number of drug metabolites produced in your body.
- Start by drinking a lot of diluted cranberry juice. Cranberry juice will help to put your urine in the proper pH range. It would be best to look for a pH balance between 4.5 and 8.0, ideally around 6.0. A pH level above this range may trigger an alarm, causing the test to be labeled as a "false positive."
- Last but not least, if you want to pass a 6-Panel Drug Test, you should take a vitamin B complex and vitamin C (both help the body detoxify), along with some magnesium and potassium. These will help your body purify your urine. Hitting the right balance of vitamins and minerals in your diet could make all the difference in passing this test.
The 6-panel drug test can easily detect whether or not someone has taken illegal substances other than the 5 panel drugs.
The 6-panel drug test is a good choice for employers and governments with their respective drug policies. The results of a 6-panel drug test are available in just a few minutes, which is good in case of a workplace accident or if any workers appear to be under the influence.
Passing a 6-panel drug test is relatively easy; Yes, just keep yourself from taking illegal drugs and get the advice of your physician before taking prescription drugs.
1. Does a 6 panel drug test test for alcohol?
Not certainly. Generally, a 6 panel test will not look for alcohol but some drug testing kits may customize to include alcohol along with other 5 drug classes.