It was named by LinkedIn as the #1 most sought-after workplace in 2021. In 2020, Forbes listed Amazon as the #2 company among the world’s best employers. A recent survey by the company among its employees showed that 94% would recommend Amazon as a place to work to family and friends.
Learn more about whether Amazon drug test and their present drug testing policies that can help you to keep your drug abuse in control if you are aiming to work for such a prestigious and well-organized workplace.
Table Of Contents:
- Does Amazon Drug Test?
- Who will be tested and why?
- How Long Does Amazon Drug Test Take?
- What Drugs Does Amazon Drug Test For 2022?
- Does Amazon Do Random Drug Test?
- Does Amazon Do a Mouth Swab Drug Test?
- How To Pass A Mouth Swab Drug Test For Amazon?
Does Amazon Drug Test?
Yes. According to the Amazon Drug Testing Policy 2022, every candidate must take a comprehensive pre-employment drug test.
Amazon is quite picky about the qualifications of its employees and conducts drug testing to determine a candidate's or employee's drug history. People applying for jobs at Amazon must complete a drug test since the company takes this issue seriously.
You can apply for a job position through Amazon's online job portal, community job fair, or directly at any of their many local storefronts or warehouses. Once you complete your job interview and accept the employment offer, Amazon will do a background check and require you to take a drug test before joining.
Depending on your location, Amazon will send you to a local drug testing facility where you must take a urine or mouth swab drug test. You will be cleared to start working depending on the drug test results.
Amazon also performs random monthly drug tests on current employees to maintain a drug free workplace. Recently, Amazon has relaxed restrictions by excluding certain drugs from their drug testing panel as an outcome of the MORE Act 2021.
Does Amazon Drug Test For Weed?
Amazon no longer tests employees for weed/marijuana/cannabis use. In 18 US states, it is legal to consume marijuana. In addition, 36 states permit the use of marijuana for medical reasons. While just a few states have Amazon offices, every state has a fulfillment facility. Only tests for marijuana are conducted on workers at jobs that fall under the Department of Transportation's jurisdiction.
A stoned truck driver is not allowed to operate a vehicle. The same is true for those in charge of using large machinery. You won't be tested for marijuana if your line of work doesn't fall under that category.
For instance, if you apply for jobs as a heavy equipment operator, a forklift operator, or a truck driver, Amazon will subject you to stringent drug and alcohol screening tests. Amazon also conducts impairment checks on the job, especially after an incident.
Who will be tested and why?
The employer may choose to perform a drug test for assessing an employee for reasons that may include pre-employment, random drug testing, follow-up testing, and post-incident testing.
Federal law requires testing by employers in safety-sensitive industries such as transportation, aviation, the Department of Defense, and others. As such, all Amazon warehouse workers have to pass a pre-employment drug test as part of the company's hiring process. Amazon might conduct a standard 5 panel drug test for screening their employees. It may differ based on the need and circumstances.
Amazon’s corporate employees, on the other hand, are not subjected to pre-employment drug testing. However, the company may perform a drug or alcohol screening if it believes it has reasonable grounds to support that an employee is under the influence of alcohol or illicit substances.
How Long Does Amazon Drug Test Take?
You may receive your Amazon drug test results in about 72 hours. However, if the test facility of your choice is busy, you could have to wait for roughly 14 days. As a result, the drug testing facility determines how quickly you will receive the results.
The test results are usually notified through emails. If a candidate fails the drug test, Amazon will notify the person through email. If the results are inconclusive or invalid, in some cases, the concerned person needs to retest.
Drug Testing Process ( As per Amazon Drug Testing Policy 2022)
- After submitting your application, you'll go through an Amazon background check, which could take up to four weeks. However, you can still request updates before that to eliminate confusion and clarify any lingering questions.
- When a candidate sees the status "Amazon Awaiting Screening Results," it is understood that the company is verifying and performing behind-the-scenes work such as background checks, performance in the screening test, qualification checks, and all the mandatory factors essential for the job profile are taken into account.
- The background check typically takes two weeks, but a few things (such as lack of information, contradictory information, or analyzing your list of references) could cause it to take longer.
- Every applicant with a chance of getting employed must submit to a drug test that looks for the use of different substances – cannabis, cocaine, methamphetamine, etc.
- The time it takes to complete the drug testing process and notify the applicants of the results can range from a few days to at least a week.
- During the employment process, the background investigation is only performed once. You won't have to undergo another background check after you start working. However, drug testing is done during the hiring process, randomly after being employed, with reasonable suspicion or cause, post-accident, return to duty, and follow-up.
What Drugs Does Amazon Drug Test For 2022?
Amazon carries out either a 5-panel or a 12-panel drug test. These drug tests find the presence of different classes of drugs in the biological samples, including:
- Phencyclidine (PCP)
12-Panel Drug Test
- Phencyclidine (PCP)
New hires and employees at Amazon are tested for these substances and alcohol. They can do alcohol screening tests if it seems like an employee is under the influence while at work.
Book your Amazon Drug Test at your nearest lab (within 5 miles radius) at USHealthTesting. USHealthTesting offers lab testing nationwide in 3000+ locations. Choose your drug test at the nearest lab through USHealthTesting. Just enter your zip code, choose the nearest lab, and the drug test of choice. Your results will be sent directly to your or your organization. If the results are positive, an MRO (Medical Review Officer) will review your results. USHealthTesting adheres to a strict chain of custody protocol.
Does Amazon Do Random Drug Test?
Random drug testing ensures workers don't use drugs to keep their jobs. Amazon does test its employees for drugs at random. In this way, people are prevented from considering drug use unless they are willing to accept the consequences. Because Amazon follows a strategic plan, no one can foresee when the tests will take place.
At Amazon, a predetermined number of employees are randomly chosen for drug testing. The organization informs such personnel of their examinations. The workers present their samples. The lab technicians give results after evaluating the sample.
No one has enough time to cheat on their test because of this method. The issue is that the system also lets certain individuals escape without being put to the test. There is a fair tendency that you won't ever be asked to take a drug test because of the random selection process.
But Amazon ensures that employees who work with heavy equipment never experience this. Employees who work in accident-prone zones must submit to drug testing. There is no need for early notice or randomization because this process is automatic.
Does Amazon Drug Test Drivers?
As stated above, everyone is screened for substances as part of Amazon's drug testing policy. Hence, drivers are not an exception. Drivers' jobs are safety-sensitive and time-sensitive, so they must be mandatorily screened pre-employment and randomly during their employment.
We know drivers' jobs fall under the jurisdiction of DOT; hence they will be strictly screened for substance use and alcohol. A driver cannot drive a vehicle under the influence of drugs or alcohol since they can harm themselves and others.
Does Amazon Drug Test For Alcohol?
While Amazon does not specifically test for alcohol, they have a strict policy prohibiting the use of alcohol at work. Employees are expected to refrain from drinking alcohol during their shifts, and they may be subjugated to disciplinary action if found to be under the influence of alcohol while working.
Amazon has a comprehensive alcohol and drug policy to ensure a safe and productive workplace. Under this policy, all employees are subject to drug testing, including alcohol. Before beginning their employment with Amazon, all applicants must undergo a drug test.
Amazon employees may be subjected to random drug testing at any time. In addition, employees involved in workplace accidents or incidents may also be required to take a drug and alcohol test.
As a result, applicants need to be aware of Amazon's policy on alcohol and drugs before applying for a job with the company.
Does Amazon DSP Drug Test For Weed?
Although Amazon does not specifically drug test for weed, it is important to remember that the company does operate in compliance with federal law. Although Amazon itself may not drug test for weed, any third-party vendor it partners with could implement its drug testing policies. In addition, it is worth noting that Amazon requires all its employees to submit to drug testing as a condition of employment. In contrast, we cannot say definitively whether or not Amazon DSP drug tests for weed, but there is a possibility that their third-party vendors or employers could do so.
Does Amazon drug test for MMJ?
Amazon recently adjusted its drug testing policy to exclude MMJ from the company's drug screening program as they support the MORE act. This applies to all positions not regulated by the Department of Transportation (DOT) and instead treat MMJ the same as alcohol use.
The tech giant also said it would endorse the federal MORE Act, reintroduced in the congress, aimed at descheduling and decriminalizing MMJ, including ditching past MMJ-related convictions.
If passed into law, the bill would remove cannabis from the Controlled Substance Act on the federal level. Amazon's announcement comes on the back of a massive legal reform across the United States and North America to legalize MMJ and cannabis use.
Already 18 states have legalized recreational MMJ in the United States, with more than two-thirds of U.S. states giving the green signal for MMJ use. According to the latest Gallup poll, 68% of Americans back the measure to legalize MMJ in the U.S.
Not surprisingly, the number of firms that tested for cannabis and cannabis metabolite 11-Nor-9-carboxy-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC -COOH) is on the decline. Clinical laboratory leader Quest Diagnostics reported a 5.2% drop in MMJ testing and a significant 8.5% drop in recreational cannabis states. But Amazon does a thorough background check for all job candidates and job seekers checking for criminal records before hiring them.
Does Amazon Warehouse Drug Test For THC?
Amazon warehouses don't drug test their potential employees for THC before being officially hired.
Amazon warehouses are large and complex operations, and the company is always looking for ways to improve efficiency and productivity. Drug testing is one way that Amazon can ensure that its employees are not under the influence of substances that could impair their performance.
Amazon performs random drug screenings on employees to deter drug and alcohol use at the workplace.
Of note is that employees who were fired after testing positive for THC (pre-employment and random) will have their employment eligibility reinstated. Hence, it's clear that Amazon's drug testing policy exempts weed from screening.
Does Amazon Do a Mouth Swab Drug Test?
Yes, most of Amazon's employees and new hires are subjected to saliva drug tests.
Amazon typically prefers two methods of drug testing: a urine drug test and an oral/mouth swab drug test. The most preferred method is the oral swab test since it is simple, quick, and economical. Additionally, it is not invasive, like a blood or hair test for drugs. An official from Human Resources will guide you through the process and give you a mouth swab. You must place the swab in your mouth and collect oral fluids. Once collected, the sample will be placed in a secure container and sent to the diagnostic center for analysis.
How To Pass A Mouth Swab Drug Test For Amazon?
An oral drug test can disclose the truth about your short-term abuse of substances or alcohol. A mouth swab drug test generally screens for drug residues left in the mouth after ingestion of illicit substances or prescription medications within the last few hours. People who chew, smoke, or vape will have drug residues in their mouths.
The easiest way to beat the oral drug test is by either not using any drugs or abstaining from substance use a few days before the test.
If you often consume drugs or alcohol, you might be able to pass a swab drug test by utilizing mouthwash, detox products, or even home remedies. Some home remedies may work better than expensive detox products.
- Home Remedies: Some of the most widely used and claimed home remedies are vinegar, Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2), and a Listerine mouthwash. You can mix any of these ingredients in water, gargle the mixture for a few minutes, and then spit it out. You may have to repeat the gargling process numerous times before the drug test to maximize the drug screening results.
- Detox Products: Many detox products on the market claim to beat oral or saliva drug tests. You must choose a product that is designed to gargle and spit out. Since these products contain harsh chemicals, you must be wary of their inedible ingredients. Some popular detox products you may consider are Toxin Rid Rescue Wash Mouthwash, Magnum Detox Mouthwash, Stinger Detox Mouthwash, etc.
- Saliva Neutralizing Gum: This method can be innovative compared to home remedies and detox products. The product (Clear Choice Saliva Neutralizing Gum) claims that chewing this gum neutralizes the saliva and works for 30 minutes, successfully eliminating the drug metabolites. You can easily carry and conceal this product, which is easy to employ. The effect lasts only 30 minutes, and many people who tried this product have lost their job due to positive results. This product is still in the trial-and-error phase and may be improvised in the future with more gum-based products introduced into the market.
Remember using these chemicals can be harmful and may burn your mouth if not used properly. Even if you try all these methods before the drug screening process, there is no guarantee that these will work or maximize your chances of negative results.
A drug-free workplace ensures a safer working environment by reducing the risks and dangers of an employee under the influence of illicit substances. A drug-free workplace increases productivity and boosts employee performance.
To sum up
1. Amazon drug test their employees and new hires as per their Amazon Drug Testing Policy 2022.
2. Amazon may conduct a 5 panel drug test or a 12 panel drug test during their drug testing process.
3. The Drug test can be either a urinalysis or a mouth swab drug test. (Most probably Urine drug test, but some Amazon warehouses and workstations conduct oral drug test.)
4. Amazon has recently ward-off MMJ from their drug testing list as a support to the MORE Act. But still, the safety-sensitive employees who fall under DOT guidelines get tested for MMJ too.
With these pointers in mind, it is time for you to get ready for your Amazon interview by taking necessary precautions regarding your drug usage and get your dream job. It will be better if you keep yourself away from the drugs altogether.