Gabapentin Drug Facts
Gabapentin (GAB) is an anticonvulsant prescription painkiller used to treat neuropathic pain, epilepsy, restless leg syndrome, hot flashes, etc. It gives a soothing and calm reaction, and it is an excellent alternative to opioids as it is less addictive. According to some trusted sources, the non-medical usage of Gabapentin has increased to 80% since 2008 in the United States.
Table Of Contents:
- Gabapentin Abuse
- Signs and Symptoms of Gabapentin Abuse
- Effects of Gabapentin Abuse
- Gabapentin Detection
- Gabapentin Treatment
Gabapentin is not a controlled substance. But it may give you a high if you take the drug with other anxiety medications that might lead to addiction.As a matter of fact, Gabapentin abuse may occur in people who have an addiction to other illegal drugs, especially opioids.
Gabapentin is available in the form of oval tablets or oblong capsules. It is common in the streets and called by Jhonny’s, Gabbie, Gab, etc. At present, the U.S government has not listed them under controlled substances.
Signs and Symptoms of Gabapentin Abuse
Excessive Gabapentin use may lead to the following symptoms.
- Confusion and lack of concentration
- Lack of coordination
- Hand tremors
- Feeling dizzy
- Anxiety and depression
- Suicide thoughts ( Extreme dosage)
- Mood swings
- Memory loss
- Increase in heartbeat
- Difficulty in speaking
- Lack of sexual desire
Effects of Gabapentin Abuse
- Feeling of exhaustion and confusion.
- Reaching out to various doctors to get additional doses.
- Moving to the next doctor after the present doctor neglects to prescribe Gabapentin and opioid medication.
- Changes in behavior and lack of social awareness.
- Changes in health, hygiene, and grooming habits.
- Preoccupied with the drug all time.
- Unease or nerve weakness if the person cannot consume the drug.
- Multiple failed attempts to quit taking the drug.
Drug Intake in ng/mL
Greater than 200 ng/mL (Urine)
1 to 5 days
Gabapentin can stay in your system for 1 to 5 days after your last consumption and can be detected through urine drug tests. A well-functioning and professional urine drug test kit can detect the drug presence even if the effects have worn off.
Undergoing medical detoxification methods can help you wear off the effects of gabapentin overdose and its withdrawal symptoms. However, if your effects are severe, you will need inpatient treatment at an intensive care program.
If you are near someone who is gabapentin overdosed, check their breathing and pulse. Then call 911. You may perform these first-aid steps
- Roll that individual towards you.
- Turn over the top leg as if the individual’s hip and knee are precisely at right angles.
- Slightly tilt the head backward to make the person’s nasal passage or airway open.
- Manage to keep the individual calm.
- Stay with the individual until the required help comes.